Teaching Staff: Mrs M Moorehead (HoD), Mrs A McCrory
WHAT WILL I LEARN IN YEAR 8?
- TOPIC 1: Introduction to Music: The Musician Rap, The Listening Hand
- TOPIC 2: The Keyboard: Treble Clef Notes & Functions of the Keyboard
- TOPIC 3: Ostinato: Performing & Composing Repeated Patterns
- TOPIC 4: Conducting: Beats, Rhythms & Improvisation
TOPIC 5: Form & Structure: Binary Form
WHAT WILL I LEARN IN YEAR 9?
- TOPIC 1: Graphic Symbols & Rounds
- TOPIC 2: Form & Structure: Ternary Form
- TOPIC 3: The Orchestra
- TOPIC 4: Elements of Sound: DDTTP
- TOPIC 5: Composition - Incidental Music
WHAT WILL I LEARN IN YEAR 10?
- TOPIC 1: Composition - Song Writing
- TOPIC 2: GCSE Mock Performance
- TOPIC 3: Elements of Sound: MIRTH
- TOPIC 4: Folk Music
TOPIC 5: Performance Skills - Pop Medley
Follow the Music Department on Instagram! >>> lurganjhs_music
SEPTEMBER = Prize Day
Our Choir and Orchestra feature as Special Items on Prize Day along with various other Musical Items to open this special occasion.
OCTOBER = Monster Music Marathon
On alternate years, we have a spectacular concert at Halloween featuring an array of musicians performing their own preferred genre of music! Soloists, dancers, instrumentalists and even past pupils come back to perform in this jam-packed concert! It is performed three times during the day for each School Year Group as well as a massive night performance - hence, Marathon!
DECEMBER = Carol Service
Our Choir and Orchestra work extremely hard to put together a night of traditional Carols and Readings in the format of "9 Lessons and Carols." This festive evening encourages all audience members to join in and sing along with us or sit back, relax and soak up the beautiful music and Word of God.
FEBRUARY = School Show
On alternate years, Lurgan JHS performs a Musical Show - this year, we performed High School Musical! These Musicals features many solo items, duets and large group vocals along with Choreography and Dance!
JUNE = House Music
Pupils work in their Houses to put together a selection on Musical Items from Dances, Vocal Solos and Group Performances, Instrumental solos and ensembles and larger Choral or Orchestral items. Recordings are placed online for Parents and Wider Community to vote for a Winning House and a Winner within that House!