Teaching Staff: Mrs J Graham (HoD), Mrs D Gray, Mrs E Walker, Mrs S Wilkinson
Technician: Mrs E Blakely
Northern Ireland has a proud heritage of food and farming, placing Home Economics as a vibrant subject that best meets the demands of our current economic climate. The Home Economics Department aims to equip pupils with the knowledge, skills and values that will help them to make appropriate lifestyle choices. Furthermore, it is a stepping stone to many career paths including Dietetics, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Food Product Development, Marketing and Nutrition.
At Lurgan Junior High School we deliver a curriculum that is challenging, current and engaging. Pupils have the opportunity to learn about three key concepts:
- Healthy Eating - Provides opportunities to develop understanding required in the choice, planning, storage, preparation, cooking and serving of food.
- Home and Family Life - Provides opportunities to understand the importance of the family as a caring unit.
Independent Living - Provides opportunities to understand the importance of becoming discerning consumers and effective managers of resources.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN YEAR 8?
- Topic 1: Welcome to Home Economics
- Topic 2: Cookers
- Topic 3: Choosing a Healthy Lifestyle
- Topic 4: Food Labelling
Topic 5: The Family
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN YEAR 9?
- Topic 1: Safe Preparation and Storage of Food
- Topic 2: Eat Less Fat
- Topic 3: Don’t Skip Breakfast
- Topic 4: Consumers
- Topic 5: Weighing and Measuring
Topic 6: 5 A DAY
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN YEAR 10?
- Topic 1: A Vegetarian in the Family
- Topic 2: The Family Life Cycle
Topic 3: Budgeting
LJHS BAKE OFF 2017
Watch behind the scenes action of our Bake Off! Pupils are in the zone, concentrating on their bakes!
Watch our Guest Judge, Board of Governor's representative and Principal, Mrs Currie, in the judging process of the Bake Off!
TRIPS & EVENTS
The Home Economics Department in LJHS encourages a welcoming learning environment to promote enjoyment and to inspire pupils to pursue Home Economics further. We offer a ‘Year 8 Spring Cookery Club’ programme, host a ‘Year 10 LJHS Bake Off’, partake in the ‘Lurgan Show Baking Competition’ and engage in food related school trips including ‘Food Heartland’s Inspirational Careers Day’ and ‘The Balmoral Show’.