Teaching Staff: Mrs K Walmsley (HoD), Mr R Logan, Mrs E Walker, Mrs V Patterson, Miss K Reilly
Geography is the study of Earth's landscapes, peoples, places and environments. It is, quite simply, about the world in which we live. Human geography concerns the understanding of the dynamics of cultures, societies and economies. Physical geography concerns the understanding of the dynamics of physical landscapes and the environemnt. Geography is, in the broadest sense, an education for life and for living
In LJHS, the Geography Department aims to stimulate an interest in the relationship of man with the environment and an enthusiasm for the world around us by using a wide range of active activities and engaging approaches.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN YEAR 8?
- Topic 1: What is Geography?
- Topic 2: Investigation Work (including a litter survey)
- Topic 3: Our Location (in NI, Ireland, UK, Europe and in the World)
- Topic 4: Map Skills
- Topic 5: Settlement
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN YEAR 9?
- Topic 1: Weather
- Topic 2: Rivers
- Topic 3: Climate Change
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN YEAR 10?
- Topic 1: World of Work and Migration
- Topic 2: Structure of the Earth, Earthquakes and Volcanoes
- Topic 3: Population and Development
- Topic 4: Fair trade in Farming or Olympics
We are constantly including interesting and engaging activities to develop the love of Geography in our pupils including a visit to Balmoral show, visits from John Wylie at the Met office, Fieldwork and Orienteering in our school grounds, CAFRE visit to Greenmount and W5 trips when available.