Newcomers Co-ordinator: Miss K Reilly; Newcomers Teaching Assistant: Mrs L King; Newcomers Classroom Assistant: Miss J Mailey
Welcome! Witamy! Bienvenue! Willkommen! Aloha! Benvenuti! Benvenuto!
Lurgan JHS warmly welcomes Newcomer Pupils from a multitude of nationalities. We are delighted to have so many pupils from a variety of backgrounds and cultures. We pride ourselves on a warm, welcoming and inclusive environment and are delighted to see our Newcomer Pupils settle in and enrich School life.
WHO IS A 'NEWCOMER?'
The term ‘newcomer’ pupil is used to refer to a pupil who has enrolled in a school but who does not have satisfactory language skills to participate fully in the school curriculum and does not have a language in common with the teacher.
INCLUSION AND DIVERSITY SERVICE
We work alongside the Inclusion and Diversity Service (IDS) to create School and classroom resources to ensure our provision for Newcomer Pupils is of the highest standard. All teachers have been trained to ensure that all curricular areas are fully accessible to these children.
NEWCOMER PUPILS IN LURGAN JHS
We have approximately 78 Newcomer Pupils in Lurgan JHS representing a range of countries from across the world.
MEET OUR NEWCOMERS TEAM
Miss K Reilly - Newcomers Co-ordinator
Mrs L King - Newcomers Teaching Assistant
Mrs King is our TEFL Teacher (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). Mrs King's role involves the following:
- Setting up structures and procedures to provide a welcoming environment for newcomer students and to help them settle
- Gather important information to compile a student profile and disseminate as appropriate
- Introduce new students to all staff
- Familiarise newcomer students with procedures and routines
- Compile relevant information for meetings with parents
- Establish good communication with the home – letters, phone contacts
- Support basic language acquisition, as directed by the school coordinator
- Support curriculum language as specified by subject teachers
- Monitor the progress of newcomer students and maintain records
WHAT DO WE DO?